NLMK-Kaluga is a new generation EAF plant, a leader among EAF plants in terms of performance, energy efficiency and low environmental impact.
"It's an absolutely state-of-the-art, high-tech production facility, and, what is especially important for a steel making plant, a green one. Probably the most eco-friendly plant in our country.”
Dmitry Medvedev, Prime Minister of Russia
During the construction of NLMK-Kaluga the company made use of the experience of leading European companies on implementation of the most effective environmental technologies, allowing to minimize the impact on the environment.
Investments in environmental technologies
- 7.5 billion roubles, or 20% of all funds invested in the plant, were investments in environmental technologies
- NLMK-Kaluga has an important ecological function to process scrap metal
- Closed-loop water-recycling system means zero wastewater discharge
- Unique energy saving systems are rolled out at the plant
- Production waste is recycled into by-products, for instance, into road construction materials