EAF shop is represented by the main production areas:
- scrap and materials preparation area;
- steel-making and secondary metallurgy area;
- ladle area;
- continuous casting area;
- slag and gas cleaning area.
Technological line of EAF production:
- Electric arc furnace (EAF-120); The EAF employs the "Ultimate” technology combining a high specific electric power (over 1.0 mWA/t) with a single-bucket EAF charging practice for the total metallic charge volume per heat.
- Twin-stand ”ladle-furnace”unit (LF) for secondary metallurgy. Twin-stand ladle furnace ensures alternate metal heating in two steel ladles located in different positions using a single system of a transformer and current leads;
- 8-strand continuous billet casting machine (CCM). CCM enables continuous metal casting without stops for changeover. This increases the yield rate of the billets up to 99.0%. NLMK-Kaluga was the first one to launch such technology.
Raw materials for steel production: scrap, ferroalloys and additional materials. All incoming materials are delivered to the plant in a prepared form, which does not require additional treatment.
Production of rolled products is carried out on a continuous combined light-medium-section A/C mill (400/215) of SMS MEER.
The technological line of the mill includes the following equipment:
- Walking beam reheating furnace minimizing generation of scale on billets inside the furnace and low specific rate of natural gas consumption;
- Combined rolling stands (horizontal and vertical);
- Two high-speed monoblocks;
- Various types of shears;
- Bake hardening line;
- Racking-type cooling bed;
- Finishing and packing equipment of European standards.
The complex uses modern in-line heat-treatment technology for high-strength rebars production at high-speed rolling.
The rolled products include long products and section for construction purposes from carbon and low-alloyed steel grades.